Welcome to Year 5
Your Year 5 Team
Miss Froggatt & Miss Mousley - Fothergill class teachers
Miss White - Bowden class teacher
Mr Martey, Miss Whistler & Mrs Kearney - Teaching assistants
Our learning journey - Spring 1
Our history topic is Aztecs which we will link to our English learning. In English we will also be learning about the famous poet Benjamin Zephaniah and in science we will be exploring the exciting topic of Earth and Space! We will be looking at art and architecture in RE as well as how charities express spiritual ideas. We will investigate the principles of a healthy and varied diet and develop our programming skills in Computing.
Times tables up to 12
Speedy recall of times tables is vital for success in so many areas of maths. Children should practise their times tables weekly at home and these can be found in their reading diaries. Children must also know the related division facts.
It is absolutely crucial that children read for at least 10 minutes each day at home. This will enable them to build a wider vocabulary and a rich imagination.
If you have any questions about how to support your child at home, we would be more than happy to help!
STARTING IN THE NEW YEAR! Commando Joe - Monday
We recommend plain jogging bottoms and a sweatshirt in view of the cold weather!
Spellings to learn for test on 11th February:
Astronomer, Astronomy, telescope, telescopic, descent, descend, galaxy, galactic, research, researcher
Homework and useful websites
Children must continue to read as much as possible.
Children are to practise times tables every week - we have bought TT Rockstars following a trial by children in Fothergill, passwords have been handed out - speak to Miss Mousley if you have lost yours.
- https://ttrockstars.com/login TT Rockstars
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1DkiuaFCuA Time zones - maths
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ Maths Games
- https://www.rspb.org.uk/fun-and-learning/for-kids/ RSPB
- https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk Reading fun Username: fothergill Password: Victoria
- https://www.wwf.org.uk/earthhour Earth Hour
- https://www.lakesidearts.org.uk/take-part-learn/children-and-young-people.html click this link for great clubs and activities out of school.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/supermovers Supermovers
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/39492207 Palm Oil
Work to be proud of in Year 5
WWF Green Ambassadors
Led by Miss Mousley, Y5 Fothergill are our ambassadors for the WWF. http://gowild.wwf.org.uk/
As Green Ambassadors supporting the WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature), our role is to raise awareness across the school and wider community. We focus on the following areas;
- Championing Sustainable Food
- Saving on Energy & Water Use
- Protecting forests & habitats
- Taking action on climate change
- Protecting endangered animals.
Behind the names!
Watson Fothergill, originally born in Mansfield, was an English architect who designed over 100 unique buildings in Nottingham. I wonder if you can spot any of his architecture while you are out and about in Nottingham!
Sir Frank Bowden was a British businessman and inventor who founded the Nottingham Raleigh Bicycle Company. Raleigh has made many famous cycles over the years including the chopper and the bmx.