Welcome to Year 5
Welcome to Year 5!
Welcome back, we hope you enjoyed a fantastic summer break and are ready for an exciting start to Year 5!
(Click on the image for more information.)
The Learning Journey Begins - Space
Calling all Astronauts in Training for our Year 5 Space Mission 2019!
Autumn Term will have a Science and DT focus on the theme of Space. We will start the term with a NASA training camp, learning about the Earth, Sun and Moon then moving onto DT skills of designing, making and evaluating a product. This will lead nicely into a visit to the National Space Centre and preparing our very own EXPO - more details on this to follow. Our English work will initially focus on report writing and our main text will be Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce. In RE, we look at inspirational people, another area that also links in well with our STEM work.
Uniform and PE Kit
Please ensure your child comes to school in the Victoria School uniform. This includes completely black shoes. They should bring their correct PE kit to school on a Monday and leave it here until Friday as sometimes the timetable can change and this may affect PE days. Everything should be clearly labelled including coats and lunchboxes.
There will be an expectation in Year 5 that all children have their reading diary and reading book in school every day. They will be given a suitable text from school but they should also be selecting their own books to read from home or in the classroom.
It is absolutely crucial that children read for at least 10 minutes each day at home. This will enable them to build a wider vocabulary and a rich imagination.
If you have any questions about how to support your child at home, we would be more than happy to help!
Vocabulary and Spelling
Please practise these words of the week with your child at home. The new words will be given on a Monday and will be tested the following Monday.
Autumn 1 Week 1
Times tables up to 12
Speedy recall of times tables is vital for success in so many areas of maths. Children should practise their times tables weekly at home and these can be found in their reading diaries. Children must also know the related division facts.
- https://ttrockstars.com/login TT Rockstars
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1DkiuaFCuA Time zones - maths
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ Maths Games
- https://www.rspb.org.uk/fun-and-learning/for-kids/ RSPB
- https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk Reading fun Username: fothergill Password: Victoria
- https://www.wwf.org.uk/earthhour Earth Hour
- https://www.lakesidearts.org.uk/take-part-learn/children-and-young-people.html click this link for great clubs and activities out of school.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/supermovers Supermovers
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/39492207 Palm Oil
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGY9lj_jRAc Manga drawing tutorial
- https://uk.ixl.com/ Fantastic revision of English and Maths for all levels.
- https://padlet.com/Y5Fothergill Link to Padlet for peer support
- http://www.keystage2literacy.co.uk/early-morning-activities.html fun activities!
- https://plprimarystars.com/for-families Interesting activities linked to football
Behind the names!
Watson Fothergill, originally born in Mansfield, was an English architect who designed over 100 unique buildings in Nottingham. I wonder if you can spot any of his architecture while you are out and about in Nottingham!
Sir Frank Bowden was a British businessman and inventor who founded the Nottingham Raleigh Bicycle Company. Raleigh has made many famous cycles over the years including the chopper and the bmx.