Welcome to Year 5
Your Year 5 Team
Miss Froggatt & Miss Mousley - Fothergill class teachers
Miss White - Bowden class teacher
Mr Martey, Miss Whistler & Mrs Kearney - Teaching assistants
Our learning journey - Summer 1
Keep your eyes peeled for exciting learning happening during the Summer term!
In the meantime, here are some photos from our AWESOME trip to the Space Centre in Leicester.
Times tables up to 12
Speedy recall of times tables is vital for success in so many areas of maths. Children should practise their times tables weekly at home and these can be found in their reading diaries. Children must also know the related division facts.
It is absolutely crucial that children read for at least 10 minutes each day at home. This will enable them to build a wider vocabulary and a rich imagination.
If you have any questions about how to support your child at home, we would be more than happy to help!
Homework and useful websites
Children must continue to read as much as possible.
Children are to practise times tables every week - we have bought TT Rockstars following a trial by children in Fothergill, passwords have been handed out - speak to Miss Mousley if you have lost yours.
- https://ttrockstars.com/login TT Rockstars
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1DkiuaFCuA Time zones - maths
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ Maths Games
- https://www.rspb.org.uk/fun-and-learning/for-kids/ RSPB
- https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk Reading fun Username: fothergill Password: Victoria
- https://www.wwf.org.uk/earthhour Earth Hour
- https://www.lakesidearts.org.uk/take-part-learn/children-and-young-people.html click this link for great clubs and activities out of school.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/supermovers Supermovers
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/39492207 Palm Oil
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGY9lj_jRAc Manga drawing tutorial
- https://uk.ixl.com/ Fantastic revision of English and Maths for all levels.
- https://padlet.com/Y5Fothergill Link to Padlet for peer support
- http://www.keystage2literacy.co.uk/early-morning-activities.html fun activities!
- https://plprimarystars.com/for-families Interesting activities linked to football
Work to be proud of in Year 5
WWF Green Ambassadors
Led by Miss Mousley, Y5 Fothergill are our ambassadors for the WWF. http://gowild.wwf.org.uk/
As Green Ambassadors supporting the WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature), our role is to raise awareness across the school and wider community. We focus on the following areas;
- Championing Sustainable Food
- Saving on Energy & Water Use
- Protecting forests & habitats
- Taking action on climate change
- Protecting endangered animals.
Behind the names!
Watson Fothergill, originally born in Mansfield, was an English architect who designed over 100 unique buildings in Nottingham. I wonder if you can spot any of his architecture while you are out and about in Nottingham!
Sir Frank Bowden was a British businessman and inventor who founded the Nottingham Raleigh Bicycle Company. Raleigh has made many famous cycles over the years including the chopper and the bmx.