Welcome to Year 5 - Fothergill
Year 5 Fothergill
Teachers: Mrs Brook (Monday & Tuesday) & Miss Mousley (Wednesday, Thursday & Friday).
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Coley (Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday) Miss Woodhouse (Monday - Friday)
PPA cover (Wednesday afternoon): Mrs Coley and Miss Woodhouse.
WWF Earth Hour
To celebrate WWF Earth Hour and to raise awareness of climate change we contributed to sustainability by making a #promisetotheplanet. We also had lots of fun when we switched off all electrical items.
We had a great time with the Creative Court that came into school for our PSHE.
Trip to NUAST
Trip to Think Tank Birmingham.
The children had a fantastic time and really enjoyed themselves. They were incredibly well-behaved and it was a super day all round; we particularly enjoyed the Cauldron Chemistry and Space Mission workshops because they involved lots of FIRE!!
Homework and useful websites
Children must continue to read as much as possible.
Children are to practise times tables every week - we have bought TT Rockstars following a trial by children in Fothergill.
- https://ttrockstars.com/login TT Rockstars
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1DkiuaFCuA Time zones - maths
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ Maths Games
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWyn_aFQhTg (Manga drawing)
- https://padlet.com/Y5Fothergill/8oeyuppa3zq4 Padlet Class Page
- https://www.rspb.org.uk/fun-and-learning/for-kids/ RSPB
- https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk Reading fun Username: fothergill Password: Victoria
- https://www.wwf.org.uk/earthhour Earth Hour
- https://www.lakesidearts.org.uk/take-part-learn/children-and-young-people.html click this link for great clubs and activities out of school.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/supermovers Supermovers
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/39492207 Palm Oil
Who said homework had to be be boring?!
Lots of English and Maths games and activities can be found on the side panel - just click on the links and have some fun!
There is also a document you can download with the website addresses on.
In year 5, we expect the children to read every day. It’s vital that the children read regularly so that they can access all areas of their learning and make fantastic progress. You can earn a raffle ticket for every 3 reads recorded in your reading diary and raffle tickets mean prizes! Children can read anything that interests them; recipe books, newspapers, comics, information books and even cereal boxes!
Children must keep practising their times tables up to 12 at home so they can complete their challenges in school. Your child should know and be able to use the commutative method. E.g. 2x4=8 in the 4x table and 4x2=8 in the 4x table.
WWF Green Ambassadors
Y5 Fothergill are our ambassadors for the WWF. http://gowild.wwf.org.uk/
As Green Ambassadors supporting the WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature), our role is to raise awareness across the school and wider community. We focus on the following areas;
- Championing Sustainable Food
- Saving on Energy & Water Use
- Protecting forests & habitats
- Taking action on climate change
- Protecting endangered animals.
Our class name - Fothergill
Fothergill Watson (he later changed his name to Watson Fothergill) was one of the leading local architects practicing in the Nottingham area from about 1870 to 1906. During these thirty or so years he designed over a hundred buildings including houses, banks, churches, shops and warehouses; many of which still survive today.
Year 5 - Fothergill News
- No recent news stories.