Welcome to Year 1 - Seacole
Welcome to Seacole Class!
My name is Miss McInnes and I am the class teacher in Seacole Class. Mrs Kaur and Mrs Kerry are our teaching assistants who work with all of the children across Year 1.
During this half term the children will be building on their knowledge of place value, particularly focusing on counting in 2s, 5s and 10s. They will also be exploring capacity and volume, money and time!
During the the first half term, the children will be building on their knowledge of number through counting, adding and subtracting. They will also be looking more deeply at shape and measurement, building upon what they have learnt in foundation.
This half term we will be linking our learning to our 'Let's Celebrate' Topics, using books such as 'The Tiger Who Came to Tea' and 'The Jolly Postman'. The children have already produced some fantastic Firework Shape Poems!
In English we will be linking our learning to our ‘Heroes’ topic, using books such as ‘Superworm’ and ‘Supertato’ to encourage the children’s creativity. The children will be focusing on applying their phonics when writing and using a capital letter and full stop when writing sentences. I am looking forward to seeing lots of fabulous writing!
Year 1 Reading
Please make sure that you are reading with your child at least 5 times a week. Please record this in the reading diary as children who read at least 3 times a week will be entered into a class reading raffle.
We will be changing the children’s books on Tuesday and Friday.
If you feel that your child is not ready for a new book, please write this in the diary.
During the second half term, our topic is ‘Let’s Celebrate’. The children will be learning about different religious and cultural celebrations. It would fantastic if some parents would like to come in to talk to the children about their own celebrations. If you are interested in talking to the children about this please let me know.
During the first half term, our topic is ‘Heroes’. The children will be learning about Heroes from the past, as well as modern day heroes. During the first week of term the children have focused on how they can be a hero at school. They have had some fantastic ideas about working hard and being kind. It has been great to see how engaged the children have already been with our topic!
This half term, Seacole class have P.E. on Mondays and Tuesdays. This half term the children will be taking part in competitive games and dance. Please ensure that the children have their P.E. kit in school on these days. P.E. kits should be kept in a small drawstring bag and can be left at school for the half term. Please make sure that all items are clearly labeled so that we can make sure that items are not lost.
Things you can do at home
Reading and English
- Please make sure that you read with your child at least 5 times a week for 5 minutes at a time.
- Please help your child to use their phonics to read the words on the word sheets sent home. The children’s phonics teachers will be sending these home on Fridays.
- If your child struggles with recognising numbers, please practise this at home. For example, can you find numbers on houses, signs, around the home or anywhere else? This is also a great activity to support your child with writing numbers correctly.
- Practising how to make 10 and then 20 is a great way to support your child’s understanding of adding and subtracting. For example, 10+10=20, 15+5=20, 17+3=20. Calling out a number and seeing if your child can say the number pair to 10 is a fun and easy way to practise this.
- Practising counting in 2s, 5s and 10s will help your child make a lot of progress.
Things to Remember
- Please make sure all items of clothing are clearly named.
- Please ensure your child brings their reading book and diary to school every day - we wil endeavour to change books on a Tuesday and Friday.
Stars of the Week!
Stay posted to find out who's work has made it to our 'Super Work' display.
Cinema Trip Money
Please remember that the deadline to hand in the money for our Christmas cinema trip is Thursday 30th November.
Phonics for Parents
The Year 1 team would like to invite you to come and see a Phonics lesson in action! It is a great opportunity to see how your child is taught Phonics in school, as well as pick up useful tips for supporting your child’s reading at home.
The session is Wednesday 29th November at 9:00am until 9:20am.
No need to book - we'll see you there!
We have Forest School's on Monday morning so please make sure that your child comes to school with warm clothing. Your child may also wear wellies. Please bring these in a plastic bag.
Christmas Dinner Day!
On Monday 4th December the children who order a school dinner will be having Christmas Dinner!
Please make sure to read with your child everyday for 5 minutes. Please record this in the reading diary.
Please also support your child with their phonics by helping your child to read the word's on the word sheets sent home on Friday.